Fire Protection Standards
When investing in fire protection for magnetic data, digital data or paper documents it is essential you get advice from a qualified media protection expert.
We are always available to help.
Protection class and quality characteristics for fire protection are standardised in European standards EN 1047-1, EN 1047-2 and EN 15659
The requirements of EN 1047-1, EN 1047-2 and EN 15659 include fire endurance tests in the course of which the temperature increase in the interior of the secure storage units is measured.
Additional fire shock and impact tests are carried out on data cabinets to simulate falling structural components (e.g. of the ceiling) on to the product in the event of fire. The additional impact test made on type B data rooms and data containers is used to determine a specific level of mechanical security. In type A data rooms, mechanical protection is already provided due to their design and construction.
Sample of certification badge for 120 min Data Cabinet
Protection classes of products for the protection of data and systems
|Product||Protection class||Certification||Stress limits|
|max. temperature||max. relative air humidity|
|Light fire storage unit||LFS 30 P||EN 15659||170°C||---|
|LFS 60 P||EN 15659||170°C||---|
|Data cabinet||S 60 P||EN 1047-1||170°C||---|
|S 120 P||EN 1047-1||170°C||---|
|S 60 D||EN 1047-1||70°C||85%|
|S 120 D||EN 1047-1||70°C||85%|
|S 60 DIS||EN 1047-1||50°C||85%|
|S 120 DIS||EN 1047-1||50°C||85%|
|Diskette insert||DI 60 P/DIS||EN 1047-1||50°C||85%|
|DI 120 P/DIS||EN 1047-1||50°C||85%|
|Data container||C 60 D||EN 1047-2||70°C||85%|
|Data room|| R 60 D
| R 60 D
Light fire storage units are only subjected to a fire endurance test (without cooling curve).
The abbreviations in the table stand for:
- LFS Light fire storage unit to EN 15659
- S Data cabinet to EN 1047-1
- DI Diskette insert for installation into a data cabinet of protection class S 60 P and S 120 P, respectively, to EN 1047-1
- C Data container to EN 1047-2
- R Data room to EN 1047-2
- 30 Exposure to flames for 30 minutes
- 60 Exposure to flames for 60 minutes
- 120 Exposure to flames for 120 minutes
- P Suited for heat sensitive paper documents with stress limits up to 170°C
- D Suited for heat and humidity sensitive data media with stress limits up to 70°C and 85% air humidity
- DIS Suited for heat and humidity sensitive data media with stress limits up to 50°C and 85% air humidity